Monday, June 15, 2009

In The Words Of...

Abbie Howe;


Just a good ole’ Greeley summer…
So, unlike most of the girls on the team, I am a local. Northern Colorado born and raised which means while all of my lovely friends skip off to their hometowns for the beginning of the summer I stay here in Greeley.
For the most part my summer starts out pretty slow which is really wonderful considering I spent my finals week trapped in a room writing what could be the equivalent of a novel’s worth of papers. My finals went well and so I spent a solid week sitting on my hind end just because I could J
Although a solid week of laziness is great, I am one of those types of people who can do nothing for a little bit but gets really antsy after a while so I started back with my job. I cater. Basically that means I spend my summer making sure everyone else’s parties and weddings are great. I cook the food, serve it, and clear all off of the plates when the guests are finished (not my favorite part of the job). But I do get to see some of the most insane parties in Colorado.
I usually head to work after I finish working out with the team in the mornings. We lift and run about midday during the week. My summer isn’t all work though… my parent’s have their house in the country about half an hours drive outsides of Greeley and I spend a good amount of time out there. Every Saturday night my mom makes Saturday night supper, which is amazing, and I get to see my dogs too :)
Now, Greeley is the type of town that requires a little bit of creativity when it comes to summer entertainment. One of the things that a bunch of us in the athletic department engineered is a super long slip-n-slide down the butler hill. Basically we take about 150 ft. of plastic and run it down the massive hill with coolers full of water at the top. Add a little dish soap and you have great summer fun! There are some casualties with this super slip-n-slide but all the bruises and scrapes are well worth it. Last summer the guys even set it up at night and had some moonlight slip-n-slide action! We haven’t gotten to set this up yet this summer because for some reason Colorado weather has decided it doesn’t want to behave like summer yet, go figure. So our slip-n-slide antics are to be continued…
Well, this is my little insight into a local summer. Hope you all are having a great one! GO bears :)

No comments: